All Inclusive Tropical Resorts -Promo Codes & Reviews

The Best All-Inclusive Resorts Ranked

Home » How To Go About Changing The Name On Your Passport

How To Go About Changing The Name On Your Passport

There are many reasons that someone may want to change their name on their passport. Perhaps they got married and want to put their married name. In other cases, maybe there was a divorce and all their IDs went back to their maiden name, so therefore the passport should too. Whatever the case may be the changing name on passport procedures are fairly easy and hassle free.


Passports give their holders the ability to travel freely from one country to another. They also allow for United States citizens to be let back into the country once their vacation is over. If you need to travel internationally you must have a valid United States passport with you. If you need to get a passport, you will have to provide proof of citizenship to the Department of State before you are issued your new passport.


Children used to be able to travel on their parent’s passports, however that has since changed. Now due to stricter traveling laws for children all kids are required to have a passport. This goes for infants as well; any human traveling must have a passport.

Forms To Fill Out

If you are going to be changing the name on your passport there are a few forms you are going to be required to fill out. The name of the form is DS-5504 and can be obtained online at the State Department’s website. However, it is important to remember that you can only use this form if your original passport is less than a year old. Otherwise, you will have to reapply for a United States passport.

Additional Forms

In addition to the previous form, you will also need to send in your original United States passport. In addition, you will have to show proof of the name chance with documentation. Also, if your passport is over 90 days old, you will have to resubmit an acceptable passport photograph that they can use on your new passport. Once again, all of this only applies if your original passport is less than a year old.

Options Of Delivery

You have the option of either completing these forms online or printing them out and mailing them in. It is advisable, however, if you are mailing in your documents to use a service that tracks the whereabouts of the mail. Otherwise, it could get lost and you would be in a world of trouble. If you find out that you have to travel suddenly, you can hire a company that offers expedited services. However, try and avoid this as it is a very expensive service.

So, changing name on passport issues are easy to do. All that is necessary is your old US passport and for you to fill out a few simple forms. However, if you leave this until the last minute, you could be in for some serious headaches. It takes a few weeks for the process to complete, so waiting until the last minute it not advised. However, if you find yourself in the scenario where you need to leave the country quickly and also need to change the name on your passport, you can hire an expediting agency to help you out. Beware, though, as this is a very expensive service.


Name of author

Name: Resorter